Manuscript Format the Easy Way After many years of writing manuscripts using Microsoft Word, I've…
What’s on Your Writer’s Wish List?
Are you making your list and checking it twice? No, I’m not talking about your Christmas list–I’m talking about your writer’s wish list! And you can make one whether you’re naughty or nice. *wink*
As we reach the end of another year, I like to take inventory of the practical (and a few impractical!) items I use on a regular basis. I also weigh in on if it’s time to try something new, upgrade existing equipment, or switch services. Sure, I replenish necessary supplies as needed throughout the year, but the once-a-year wish list gives me a valid excuse to spend a few hours thinking about how to improve my productivity.
Here are some of the items on my writer’s wish list, and, yes, I have categories!
- Pentel EnerGel pens with purple ink. What can I say? I’m a pen nerd. I’m down to two pens, and that’s not going to cut it, my friends.
- Black and red Pilot G2 pens. See above–I’m picky about pens, and I like to have a variety of colors. I tend to blow through these G2s like they’re toilet paper. I should buy a fifty pack and call it good.
- Copy paper for printing. I buy a case at a time when it’s on sale, and, oh look! I’m down to only one full package left.
- A new office chair. The left arm of my current chair has lost its padding and the finish on it is crumbling. I lean on it a lot. The right arm seems fine. Sadly, this means I have the worst posture on the planet. I’m working on correcting how I sit. But in the meantime, a new chair has been added to the list.
- The PERFECT day planner. I have yet to find it, but the hunt is on and, my friends, the quest is real.
Last year, I stocked up on tape, staples, index cards, paperclips, mailing supplies, and manila folders, so I’m set on those for a while.
Believe it or not, I have nothing on this list at the moment. I know, it’s shocking.
I bought a new laptop last year. My black-and-white laser printer is only a few years old. Last year I paid for plugin I’d been wanting for my website, and I hated it, so, thankfully, I have no stars in my eyes for other plugins at this point. I switched newsletter services a few years ago and am very happy with my current provider. So…I’m good. For now. Check back with me next year–this list will likely have something on it.
Oops, spoke too soon. Our internet provider is on my list to deal with. Our rates keep going up, but we have dead spots in our house and a lot of slow internet times. Guess I’ll be making a call soon. *sigh*
- Gift cards for coffee shops. When I see a deal on them, I snatch them up. I love getting away for a few hours to explore ideas, and it’s less painful on the wallet when I can use a gift card.
- Pretty notebooks. I can never have enough.
- A super comfortable chair with an ottoman for my office. This is a long-term goal. I would love a comfy chair in my office to red-line my drafts, research, and dream. Someday…
- Hand lotion. Winters are dry where I live, and I keep a tube of thick hand cream on my desk. My hands thank me for it.
- Cardigans. I love cardigans or any garment that will keep me warm while I’m working. I bought a cape this fall to keep in my office. It’s easy to throw over my shoulders and it keeps my hands free to type.
- Candles. Lighting a candle makes the room pretty and it smells good.
- Candy. I can’t help it. Afternoons make me crave caramels. One or two can’t hurt, can they? Don’t answer that!
- Books on the writing craft. There are always books to be purchased!
- Online classes. I recently found Udemy. Thanks, Kristina Knight and Tina Radcliffe, for sharing it with me! You can find tons of classes on a variety of subjects. The one I’m taking isn’t graded, and I can work on it at my own pace. It suits my needs perfectly.
- Magazines. I enjoy buying a variety of magazines throughout the year. They always give me ideas, inspiration, or motivation.
I’m sure there are tons of other things I could add to my list, and I’ll be jotting them down as I get more ideas.
What’s on your writer’s wish list? I love hearing about your ideas and favorite items!
Have a terrific day!
This Post Has 4 Comments
Jill, I also love Pilot G2 pens. Black with a bold tip, please.
Also yellow legal pads for sketching ideas or working off-line. And tea, either bagged or loose: Earl Grey, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast or Lapsang Souchong. In a china cup.
My laptop is fairly new and my printer is okay. Would love some craft books or to take an online course.
Would love a dedicated work space, our main computer is in the living room. On the other hand, it forces me to be more disciplined — and to relax, because I can’t work when other people are in here. So there’s that.
Would also relish a chance to attend ACFW in San Antonio, or another big conference. I learned so much from the last one.
Thanks for helping me to focus! I made one of my November goals, shipping my second novel to my publisher, after a boatload of tech problems.
Aren’t the G2s great?? I love them!
I love legal pads–the miniature ones are my fave! And tea–I drink a lot of hot tea, too.
Congratulations on sending the second novel out! Woohoo!! I’m so proud of you!!
What a great list! I also enjoy gift cards to book stores. 🙂
How could I have forgotten book store gift cards?? Love those!