Way back when I submitted my first novel for publication, I was certain getting published…
I’m big on setting monthly goals. By listing them and breaking them down into manageable chunks, I accomplish more than I think possible. My process is to set monthly goals, then at the beginning of each week, I create daily goals that will work within my current schedule.
Each month I share how I did the previous month as well as my new goals. Let’s get to it!
How Did I Do? Jill’s August 2020 Goals
- Revise/polish and submit the short story I wrote last month. CHECK!
- Revise/polish the full manuscript for a single-title novel. CHECK!
- Exercise 5 days/week and add strength routine twice a week. CHECK!
- Go back to logging food with MyFitnessPal and eat fewer calories M-F. CHECK! I was motivated to make changes this month, and I am back to consistent exercise and calorie tracking. Woohoo!
- My youngest moves into his dorm later this month! Waahh!! NO CHECK. Due to new campus housing rules (Covid), my son decided to commute. It was depressing all around, but he’s making the best of it!
- Continue reading fiction for a minimum of 20 minutes every weekday. I have two books on order from our library that I can’t wait to come in. CHECK! I’ve been loving all the books I’ve been getting!
- Once my writing goals for the month are met, I’m taking a few days to plan out the next several months of work. I do this at the end of every August or early September, and I love it. It sets the tone for the next nine months! CHECK! I actually created a 2-year production plan, and this week it begins. Yay!!
August felt very 2020, if you know what I mean. From our son no longer dorming, to learning the Big Ten cancelled football, to the continued unrest across our nation, I wasn’t quite a hot mess, but I was definitely a limp one. For me, August could be summed up with just a long, long sigh.
But good things happened, too. I met all my goals! I lost 2 pounds (finally)! And I have some exciting news to share as soon as it’s official.
September always feels like a fresh start to me. I’m returning to my stricter/longer work schedule this week. I have so many projects I want to work on–enthusiasm is everything!
Jill’s September 2020 Goals
- Write 42K words of current project.
- Loosely plot two books.
- Promote my new book releasing September 29! The Cowboy’s Christmas Blessings is such a sweet book!
- Exercise 5 days/week and add strength routine twice a week.
- Log calories using MyFitnessPal and stay in calorie range M-F.
- Enjoy the warm weather for as long as possible. In no time, it will be COLD.
- Continue reading fiction for a minimum of 20 minutes every weekday.
- Put together the new puzzle I bought.
- Pack away my summer clothes and get out my winter clothes.
How did you do last month? Are you excited about fall? If you could accomplish one thing this month, what would it be?
Enjoy your week!