I’m big on setting goals. By listing them and breaking them down into manageable chunks, I accomplish more than I think possible. My process is to set monthly goals, then at the beginning of each week, I create daily goals that will work within my current schedule.
Each month I share how I did the previous month as well as my new goals. Let’s get to it!
How Did I Do? Jill’s March 2020 Goals
- Promote The Cowboy’s Secret, releasing March 17, 2020. PARTIAL CHECK. I didn’t have the heart to promote this while the world shut down. Other than a blog post, newsletter and Facebook group takeover, I haven’t done much.
- Finish the first draft of book 4 of the Wyoming Sweethearts series. NO CHECK. As I write this, I still have 10,000 words to write.
- Write sample chapters of book 1 in a new Love Inspired series. NO CHECK.
- Possible final edits for book 3 of the Wyoming Sweethearts series. CHECK. I got them early and turned them in.
- Continue exercising 5 days/week. CHECK. Exercising a little each day helps me cope.
- Continue tracking calories/nutrition with MyFitnessPal. NO CHECK. I gave up tracking calories for now. I don’t need any more stress in my life!
- Add more protein to diet, and this time I have a plan. My goal is 20-25% of my daily calories. *crossing fingers*. NO CHECK. I am eating more Cheetohs, but unfortunately, that’s not a good thing!
- Finish going through photos to prepare a slideshow for my son’s graduation party. CHECK. I loved seeing all the pictures from years gone by! But now I’m sad because graduation might be on hold…
- Work on my crochet project. NO CHECK. I’ve been obsessively scrolling news articles on my phone, instead…
- Go to the Toledo Art Museum and fill my creative well. NO CHECK. The art museum is closed until further notice.
When a pandemic sweeps the world, goals fall to the wayside. I’m okay with that. Since I’m a full-time writer, working from home, I do still have obligations to meet. I have a deadline in May. I also have another multi-book proposal to put together in hopes it will sell this summer.
Although focus, concentration and creativity are in VERY short supply for me right now, I’m adding to my draft slowly. I just keep trying, and I’m happy with my progress. A little progress is better than no progress.
Jill’s April 2020 Goals:
- Finish writing the draft of Wyoming Sweethearts Book 4.
- Content edit and revise Wyoming Sweethearts Book 4.
- Expand synopsis for new book I’m plotting.
- Continue exercising 5 days/week.
- Keep reading the pile of books I’ve gathered.
- Work on crochet project, even if it’s only one row!
Last month I gave myself permission to write what I could. If I needed to check the news every two paragraphs, so be it. It really helped me keep going on my work-in-progress. In fact, last week, I added almost 10,000 words, which I didn’t think was possible.
If you’re struggling to focus, you are NOT alone!! Be kind to yourself. Write one sentence. Set a timer for ten minutes. Research something related to your story. Read a book. Whatever it takes!
How did you do last month? What are your April goals?
Thanks for joining me this month!
The Cowboy’s Secret is in stores now
Click HERE for more information!